Reflecting on Your Writing: Reading and Research Strategies
Beginning an essay can often be the most difficult portion. However, when separated into small steps, this process becomes well defined and much more manageable. During these first steps, any writing that takes place is likely to be minimal and rough. This is acceptable, as you realize you are in the prewriting stage and that you have more writing and revising ahead of you.
For this Discussion, you will reflect on your own approach to reading and how you have (or, perhaps, have not) used a strategy, such as note-taking, underlining, highlighting, etc., in the past to gather and assess the main ideas from a journal article. Based on what you have learned from the week’s Learning Resources, you will share your thoughts and experiences on reading and researching.
Save your time - order a paper!
Do you want to give your essay a new look that will boost your grade? Try our experienced tutors and get your paper written by the best paper writing service!
✔️Ontime Timely Delivery
✔️Plagiarism Free Papers
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the Learning Resources on arguments and critical reading, and the infographic on Analysis.
- Reflect on your research process in relation to understanding an author’s argument or main idea.
- You may reflect on past or current examples of your reading and research process.
By tomorrow 12-06-2017 8 AM, post a 2-paragraph reflection on your reading and research process, describing strategies that you currently use, as well as any strategies that you could use more effectively. (Note: You may choose to reflect specifically on your approach to this Discussion in relation to reading and research). Include at least 1 to 2-reference from the list below.
1) Walden University Writing Center. (2015i). Walden templates: General templates: APA course paper template (6th ed.). Retrieved from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/templates/general
Note: Please submit all assignments using the above-mentioned APA Course Paper Template.
2) Laureate Education. (2015). [Infographic]. Understanding Arguments, Baltimore, MD: Author.
3) Walden University Academic Skills Center. (2017). Determining the main points of a reading. Minneapolis, MN: Author.
4) Walden University. (2015). Writing a Paper: Understanding Arguments. Retrieved from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/writingprocess/arguments
Grad Writing II: http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/wcss6060
From the list of selected journal articles, choose and critically read one article in preparation for this week’s Assignment
Please note: You will use your selected journal article throughout the course.
Note: Walden Library Guides house a selection of journal articles listed in the resources sections for each week/module for which they are required. The citation of the reading is provided and below the citation it should state “Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.”
1) Walden University Writing Center (Producer). (2014, January 13). WriteCast: Five strategies for critical reading (Episode 5) [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from https://soundcloud.com/writecast/005-five-strategies-for
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 11 minutes.
2) Transcript: http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/transcripts/podcasts/ep005